Friday, October 25, 2013

Ready for discharge!

I am writing this Thursday night...anticipating one more night here in the hospital.  I am scheduled to discharge Friday late afternoon!!!  Woo hoo :). Tomorrow night I will be home with my boys and get to put my son to sleep in his crib in the nursery for the first time in 17 days!  I am beyond excited to cut off this hospital wristband, put my wedding rings back on the moment I walk back in the door at home, sleep in my own bed, next to John and know that my son is just steps down the hall...(Simple pleasures!)

Today has been busy with lots of "education" from the nurses on how to flush and care for my PICC line, nutrition/dietician team giving me info about this majorly restrictive diet that I will be going home on for the next few months, the diabetes educator who has become involved because the high dose steroids have made me diabetic (temporarily, hopefully) and coordinating the logistics of making sure I have all the prescriptions I need (11 new meds) and that John can pick them up at the Kaiser pharmacy before he heads to the hospital tomorrow to pick me up.  I feel like an air traffic controller trying to make sure that everyone knows what I need and then delegating it and following up to make sure it happens.  My background with case management services (work) and knowing how to advocate are coming in VERY handy!  :).  I am sure some people might see me as neurotic/bossy...but hey, it works for me and I am ALL about getting the heck out of here and making sure I have all the info/supplies/follow up appts/etc that I need so that I can stay home  and NOT land back in the joint due to an "oversight" or mistake because someone dropped the ball on something.  Discharges and follow up care are COMPLICATED!  :)

I have a few more things to do on my "get accomplished before discharge list" and it's one of my favorite things to do.   As soon as I am done with this blog post it will be time for me to sit down and write thank you notes to all of the special nurses who I have connected with here on the unit over the past 17 days.   I am also going to write up some recognition cards so that their boss (the unit RN supervisor) knows what a good job they did.  I have had regular interactions with 50+ staff over the past 2+ weeks and there are at least 10 that deserve formal recognition from the hospital for how absolutely AMAZING they are!   So excited to share that and then write them personal notes just to let them know how much I connected with them and appreciated them. 


Thanks again for all of the ongoing prayers, thoughts, and positive energy that is being sent my way and to John and Scotty.  We feel surrounded in love and support and can't thank everyone enough!  We are so blessed!
-Chellie

No comments:

Post a Comment