Friday, August 2, 2013

The importance of teeth

Survived another bone marrow biopsy this afternoon. Glad it's over with and hopefully I will get a break for a few months before I have to do another one at 6 months post transplant. I saw one of the other docs at the clinic earlier this week and mentioned to her that my teeth are shifting. She said that it can happen post transplant because all of the chemo and radiation have likely put me into early menopause and that there can be major issues with bone density like women have much later in life. So, she ordered a DEXA scan to measure my bone density as she was concerned that my teeth shifting might be due to bone density loss in my jaw.

Having braces twice as a youngster and being the daughter and the niece of dental assistants, having straight teeth is something very important to me...so when I noticed that my teeth were shifting and it freaked me out a bit. The oncologist referred me to my dentist for an urgent consult. We did panoramic X-rays and the nice thing is that we had a baseline to compare with because I had to have a dental clearance prior to transplant. Good news is that my amazing dentist didn't see any change in the roots of my teeth or bone loss in my jaw, so I won't have to take any immediate measures regarding more meds for bone strength and instead I should be able to just supplement with extra calcium and vitamin D. The oncologist had measured me vitamin D level last week and it was super low, but we are fixing that with supplementation. In order to keep my teeth from shifting anymore my dentist took impressions and is getting some retainers/positioners made for me to wear while I sleep. :).

Tomorrow is my Day +100 appointment (even though day 100 is actually on Sunday). I will meet with Dr. Nash and we will go over all of the recent tests I have done and we will see what he thinks about me returning to my primary oncologist at Kaiser with periodic follow ups with CBCI.

My mom leaves on Saturday to head down to their cabin in Pagosa for 2 weeks before she heads back to California to start her school year. I am really going to miss her. How often do you get to spend 2 1/2 months straight with your mom when you are an adult. We have had so much fun hanging out this summer and she has been SO incredibly helpful over the past several months. It's going to be sad not to have her here to hang out with (since I can't really go out and do much with friends). I have some "feelers" out to find some projects and things to keep me busy. I am hoping to volunteer for the local mental health agency in a capacity that I can stay connected but not have any client contact until my docs say I am okay to do that. Additionally, I am hoping to do some volunteer work for the local Leukemia & Lymphoma society. Lastly, I will be studying for the EPPP (licensure exam for my doctoral level license). My doc has told me several times that I really shouldn't return to work until I am completely off my immunosuppressant medications and even then I need to severely limit any exposure to patients due to my "baby immune system". So, in the meantime I am going to try and fill up my days with lots of volunteer work, studying, continued doctor appointments, and of course just continuing to recover :)
-Chellie

No comments:

Post a Comment