Wednesday, February 5, 2014

A new PICC

Another quick update...  Things continue to roll right along :). I am sleeping MUCH better (yay for 6 hrs of sleep again without having to take any sleep meds!). I am also able to walk up the stairs in our house without having to pull myself up with the handrail (I still have to hold on to the railing for support, but I am definitely making serious progress as far as my muscle tone goes!) :)

On Monday this week I had to go into Kaiser and get my PICC line replaced because the one that was in my arm was coming out!  Apparently a PICC line should end in your heart (where it dumps the meds you infuse) and mine had pulled out of my arm slowly over time (the past month or so) to the point that 7cm of the line was sticking out of my arm (instead of the 2-3cm that is standard)...so my previous PICC line wasn't dumping into my heart anymore and instead it was dumping into the vein just outside the heart.  This isn't a huge deal for my IV electrolyte hydration infusions everyday, however, my treatment team said that they couldn't use my PICC the way it was to infuse anything else (meds, chemo, etc) and that heaven forbid, I land back in the hospital for anything they would need access to a fully functioning PICC line, so they wanted me to get it replaced/fixed.

The procedure on Monday went very smoothly.  They confirmed with a chest x-Ray that this latest PICC (3rd time's a charm, right?!?) is properly placed and I am pleased that it went so smoothly (to be honest I was really worried about it giving me another blood clot).  I am going to have to be very diligent about remembering to pick Scotty up with my left arm (non-PICC arm) because I am not supposed to do any heavy lifting with that arm and they think that *might* be one of the possible reasons that the previous PICC line started to come out...one of the hazards of being a mommy, I guess :) lol 

Other than getting my PICC line replaced earlier this week, no major updates on me.  Biggest news  around here at Casa de Voss is that we officially have a "toddler" and Scotty is walking up a storm these days!  He started earlier this week and I was able to capture some video while I was home with him during the afternoon on Tues and Wednesday!  :). It is so awesome to watch him navigate his way as he practices this new skill!  He is going to keep us on our toes, for sure!  :). That's good though, I could use the exercise of chasing after him!!! :).
-Chellie 

No comments:

Post a Comment