Monday, June 24, 2013

I'm an excellent driver...

Well, it has been another week since my last blog post. Went to see Dr. Nash again yesterday and he continues to be pleased with my progress so far. Today marks Day +56 ( but who's counting, right :). I have been feeling pretty good overall (just a slight headache for the past few days and some morning nausea that usually goes away pretty quickly once I eat some jello or drink some juice when I wake up). My blood counts continue to trend in the right direction, which is awesome! I have another dose of spinal chemo on Thursday June 27th and I have another bone marrow biopsy on Monday July 1st. My BMBX will be at the same hospital that did it last time (with twilight sedation & use of the bone marrow drill...both of which I like very much over the alternatives of Kaisers way of doing things (no sedation and the hand crank tool that they use on their outpatient clinic).

John and Scotty both seem to be on the mend and getting over their colds. John's doc at Kaiser was great when he called and told him that he was sick and that we were worried because I am immunocomprimised due to my transplant. His doc just called in prescriptions right away and didn't even make John come into the office and John was able to start antibiotics right away. I think I have made it through the first (of many, I'm sure) household illnesses unscathed which is very relieving. My mom did an excellent job lysoling (is that a word? It sure is at our house now) all of the door handles, remote controls, light switches, etc to prevent the spread of any germs to me. Thanks Mom!

Dr. Nash still doesn't want me driving :(. My mom has been a great chauffeur, but I feel a bit like a high schooler again not being able to drive. It sure is a lesson in letting go of my independence. Challenging, but doable. I can't wait to go for a joyride once I get my driving privileges back from Dr. Nash (hoping for the end of next month is all continues to go well). I still ask him frequently, even tough I know he still thinks it is too early...I keep asking cuz eventually I will break him and he will finally say yes :) hahaha. Just kidding...I just figure it doesn't hurt to ask and all he can do is say "nope, not yet". Last time I asked he said it wasn't just me it was worried about, but the other people on the road around me (as if to imply I am a bad driver) :). I wanted to quote in my best Rain man imitation "I'm a good driver" but I don't think he would have been amused being the very stoic and serious doc that he is. My mom and I sure got a kick out of it when I said it to her after Dr. Nash left the exam room though :).

-Chellie

No comments:

Post a Comment