Thursday, February 21, 2013

hyperCVAD - Cool video game or just a crappy treatment?


2/21/13 – Day 2 of Chemo

So, onto Day 2 of Chemo!  So far, so good.  Successfully completed 2 chemo infusions yesterday (11:30am and midnight).  I slept through most of my chemo infusion last night (not a bad way to do it, if ya ask me!)  Feeling some fatigue but nothing too bad…still taking my laps around the oncology unit multiple times per day, draggin my IV pole along with me.  I joke around that my IV pole is my “dog” here at the hospital and I’m take him for a walk around the unit a couple times a day.  He needs a name…anyone have any ideas/suggestions? J

My chemo regiment is called “hyperCVAD” and both chemo infusions yesterday were a medication called Cyclophosphamide.  They are IV bags that are connected to my central line and take 3 hrs each to complete the entire infusion.  This afternoon I am also getting my first dose of methotrexate which will be administered “intrathecally” which is a fancy way of saying in my spinal fluid via a lumbar puncture.  Today & tomorrow I get more infusions of the cyclophoshamide and then on day 4 they switch it up and I get different meds (they start with V & D, hence the “CVAD” acronym J  My nurse just came in & dosed me up on my anti-nausea medications and infusion #3 starts in a few minutes here. 

Today is a beautiful day in Denver.  We had a little snow storm last night (not nearly the amount of snow fall they predicted, but it was enough to quiet down the city which I love).  I’ve got an amazing view from my hospital room of Downtown Denver and I can see the mountains as well.  So while I get my infusion this morning I’ll be sitting in my chair by the window watching the city & looking at the snow capped Rocky Mountains off in the distance J Not too shabby!

Thank you to everyone who has sent flowers, emails, text messages, phone calls, and facebook messages of support.  It means so much to me and I’m so blessed to have so many amazing friends and family members supporting me through this journey!  You guys are the best!!  - chellie

4 comments:

  1. Yay for a gorgeous view while you have to sit still! I hope you continue to feel well and get to go home in between phases soon.

    You are too funny! You could name him Spike. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So far, suggestions include Spike, Ivy and Luke :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How about "Baggins" - a reference to the iv bag with a subtle LOTR hint for good measure... Or you could go with "Precious..." LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jim - you are too funny. I like "Baggins". :)

    ReplyDelete