Saturday, February 23, 2013

V and D?


Today’s blog is brought to you by the letters V & D. (Reminds me of Sesame Street) J  Today I am getting my last 2 chemo infusions of “Phase A”.  The chemo drug that starts with V was administered via a “push” meaning my nurse injected it into my central line over a period of 10 minutes this morning.  I must admit that I was pretty anxious this morning, worried about how I’d react to the new chemo medication and I even considered taking the PRN anxiety medication that the doctors ordered but I decided against it and just to see what happened.  Low & behold, that medication “push” went just fine and I haven’t experienced any nausea or anything that I’d been worried about with it.  My 2nd infusion for today is still going on.  It’s the “D” in “hyperCVAD” and is a big IV bag full of red juice that looks like Hawaiian Punch or Kool-Aid.  I must admit that it is very strange to see red “juice” coming through my IV and into my central line, but hey…if this is the stuff that’s gonna wipe out the rest of the cancer cells then lets get it where it needs to go and let it do its work! J

This blog update is being submitted later than the ones I have done in the past few days and I am starting to feel more tired but the true reason this update is late is because I got to enjoy time with 2 visitors today.  I had the opportunity to catch up with a friend who came to visit this morning and then I got a good quality visit with John this afternoon.  The opportunity that this current situation has given me to have open/frank conversations with my soul mate is beyond amazing.  Of course, the details of our conversation today are private and only for John and myself, but I am feeling so incredibly blessed and it just reinforces my belief that I married the PERFECT man for me!!!  (Took us long enough to find one another, but our conversation today just reinforced to me that it was worth the wait) J  Our relatively young marriage/relationship is already growing in amazing ways that we’d never expected… all because of this crazy turn of events that started a week ago.  This is a tremendous growth opportunity for our little family.  We are strong and have so much love and support.  I am so proud of John and have all the confidence in the world that he is taking amazing care of our son while I’m not able to do so.  We are gonna come out of this with an even tighter bond and relationship with one another.  I know it sounds like such a cliché thing to say, but I feel like the luckiest woman in the world today!!

Health update:  my labs this morning showed that my “counts” are starting to drop.  My red blood cells were just slightly above the “threshold” for a possible transfusion and if they drop below the threshold tomorrow I may have my first transfusion, we’ll see.  My nurse explained to me that this is the reason that I’m a bit more tired & just slightly “winded” and not 100% energy-wise because I don’t have as many red blood cells carrying around the oxygen that I’d normally have.  My white cells are dropping as well (exactly the plan).  My kidney function is still a slight concern (my uric acid bumped up just a tiny bit since yesterday) but the docs are keeping a close eye on it and will just continue to monitor it day by day.  My vitals are still looking excellent & no sign of fever/infection (yet).  My new doc (he just started his week on-call yesterday) said its probably not a matter of “if” I’ll get a fever/infection, but more like “when” it will happen…so for now I’m just enjoying feeling good, having visitors and gaining  perspective J
-Chellie

No comments:

Post a Comment