Thursday, September 26, 2013

Code Clorox!

Well, I’ve had a minor setback.  Last week we tried to taper my immunosuppressant medication and it was a disaster.  I broke out in a bright red rash on my hands, arms, chest, neck & back.  We had to come back from our trip down to Pagosa Springs 2 days early as the rash quickly spread to my face.  This weekend I had to make a trip downtown to the Emergency Room (thankfully Dr. Nash was the on-call doc at the clinic over the weekend, so he was able to meet me at the ER and look at my rash).  He agreed that it had progressed beyond just a minor rash and that it needed to be treated immediately to avoid permanent damage to my skin in those areas.  So, at the ER they gave me a MEGA dose of steroids via IV (first time in 6 months that I wished I still had my central line…those tubes hanging out of my chest would have come in handy since they had to poke me twice and draw 4 bottles and 8 vials of blood to run all sorts of labs).  I had never had them draw blood into bottles before, but they drew 4 bottles (size of the old small coke bottles) that mixed with some solution so they could culture them & make sure I don’t have any sort of blood infection in addition to the GVHD rash.  The ER visit was surprisingly quick and I was out of there in less than 3 hrs (unheard of as far as my experience working in local Emergency Departments!)   I filled 3 new prescriptions (pain meds, oral steroids & a higher potency steroid cream to apply to my skin.)
I am getting better day by day…I would say that my rash is about 30% improved and certainly isn’t as “angry-looking” as it had been.  It still looks like a really bad sunburn but at least it doesn’t feel “blistery” like it did over the weekend.  Aside from the rash, no other GVHD symptoms except a very minor mouth sore.  Dr. Nash thinks that the super high dose of oral steroids that I’m going to be on for the next 6-8 week should help with the “mucositis” (mouth sore) as well.
 
As a result of being put on the super high dose of steroids and having to increase my immunosuppressant medication again, I will be even more immune-compromised than I have been in a while.  We are on a “code Clorox” protocol here at the Voss household and everything must be wiped down with Lysol/Clorox wipes daily again. L  I have to wear a mask out in crowded public places again, and need to really watch what I eat since the massive dose of steroids makes me SUPER hungry.  I have worked really hard recently to lose weight and I don’t want to blow it!  I am also going to have to be really careful about the possibility that the steroids might mess up my blood sugars.  I have never had blood sugar issues, but I do remember that when I took steroids back in February as part of my very first chemotherapy the docs and nurses were really concerned about how it affected my blood glucose and I had to take insulin shots temporarily because it got so out of control.  Please pray that we can keep my blood sugars under control and that the steroids do the work they need to do without wreaking havoc on my system, appetite, etc.
 

In other news, we are looking forward to the Light the Night walk on Thursday.  My dad will be flying into town to walk with us and we have several local friends and family members who will be walking around Washington Park with us that evening! J  Thanks to everyone who has so generously donated to our fundraising efforts, you are amazing and have made a difference in the lives of blood cancer patients and their families!  On Thursday night @ 7:30pm, we’ll have our first annual “Go Cells Go” walk and I’ll post pictures to the blog afterwards J
-Chellie

No comments:

Post a Comment