Thursday, September 5, 2013

Leaving the Borg and becoming human again

Today is a very good day! At 11:10am I had my central line removed. That's right, for the first time in nearly 6.5 months, I don't have tubes/lines hanging out of my chest!!! I am beyond thrilled to have the "Hickman trifusion tunneled catheter" out. The radiologist who pulled it out this morning is actually the same guy who put it in before my transplant...so it went full circle which was kind of cool. He was awesome and even showed me the line after he pulled it out (I specifically asked to see it). As elated as I was to have it out of my chest, as I looked down at it I realized that this device played a huge part in my transplant. It was through this "do-hickey" that I received my chemotherapy that wiped out my previous immune system so I could "reboot" and build a new one. I think the biggest thing that hit me was the fact that the life saving cells I received from Kyle were injected through that central line. At one point (about a week post transplant) I was receiving all of my meds and blood products all through this little device. That line has been a major part of my life for the past 6 months. I certainly won't miss having to take care of it (cleaning with special solution, flushing and heprinizing (sp?) all three lines everyday)! And it feels so liberating to not have to worry about it anymore. I feel like I have my body back! :)

Aside from the big news that I mentioned above, not much else is going on. Right now I am hanging out in the hospital just passing time until my clinic appointment later this afternoon. Bloodwork continues to good and my next big excitement will be around Day 150 when I get to lower my dose of my immunosuppressant medication again. When that happens we will monitor everything closely for any signs of GVHD which might decide to pop up. Dr. Nash said that if they pop up then I will have to go back up on my dose and possibly start some new meds, but I am optimistic that I will continue to be his "model transplant patient" (hahaha) and that I will continue on without any complications!

We will be celebrating my central line removal tonight with pizza and Broncos football! I have been looking forward to fall & football since I was diagnosed way back in February and it seems like a very fitting way to celebrate! :)

Go Broncos!
-Chellie

No comments:

Post a Comment