Monday, April 1, 2013

Friday's Post - Appointments


My apologies to all for not getting this up on Friday. Chellie may be looking to replace me as the guy in charge of the blog... Hope everyone had a Happy Easter. - jdv
----------
TGIF.  I had blood work done this morning and my numbers are trending up, exactly as we had hoped!  I am I longer neuropenic (yay) but I still need to get lots of rest and hydrate well with lots of water (my bloodwork today showed that I am slightly dehydrated) and I don't want to have to go to the ER for IV fluids this weekend...so I will have my water bottle in hand all weekend long! :)

As I was leaving the clinic this afternoon I was thinking to myself...wow, I don't have another medical appointment till Thursday next week.  That was, until my phone rang @ 3:30pm.  It was the Kaiser transplant coordinator.  She had good news for me in that they think we will be able to move forward with the transplant rather quickly (possibly by mid to late April).  BUT, that means I have to get 12 appointments scheduled and completed next week!!!!  Blood work, a chest x-ray, pulmonary function test, echocardiogram, an EKG, CT scan of my sinuses, another bone marrow biopsy, another  dose of spinal chemo, a dental clearance (with a full set of X-rays), as well as my regular oncology lab work w/ possible transfusion, a transplant caregiver class (which my mom and John will need to attend with me) and my regular weekly appt. with Dr. Liel.  HOLY MOLY that is a lot of appointments!  And of course they are all at different clinics and hospitals around the metro area. :). It looks as though I will probably be in the car and doctor's offices more than I am at home next week! Lol

The good news is that I was able to get 9 of the appointments scheduled before the offices closed this afternoon.  Still waiting on one of the hospitals to call me back to schedule the pulmonary function test and my oncologist's office needs to schedule the bone marrow biopsy and the spinal chemo.  I must say that I am not thrilled about another bone marrow biopsy since I just did one 2 weeks ago, but its a means to an end.  If all goes according to plan, I will have my transplant late April!!  That is way ahead of schedule and means I get to skip 2 additional rounds of chemo!  WOO HOO!

It was indeed a "Good Friday" for me today.  We are hoping that the transplant office will be able to get Kyle in for his part of the physical on either Wed next week or the following Monday!  (Prayers that we can get all the scheduling worked out in a timely manner for Kyle & myself would greatly be appreciated so that we can go straight to transplant mid-late April).  :)  
-Chellie

No comments:

Post a Comment