Wednesday, April 10, 2013

The Perfect "Mix Tape"


Well, the Denver weather forecasters were wrong again (no surprise, really). :)  My radiation oncology appointment this afternoon at Rose Medical Center went well.  The roads were totally fine and we got there 40 minutes early (we'd left in plenty of time in case the roads were scary).  The doc (Dr. Howell) was very nice and explained everything very well.  She took all of my medical history (I feel like I have repeated this info WAY too frequently recently) :)  Then she did a quick physical and explained the radiation process & what it will be like for me as the patient.  It is reassuring to know what to expect but still makes me nervous that they will be shooting radiation into my body. 

The process for total body irradiation is really interesting.  Dr. Howell explained how it is different than radiation that most cancer patients get.  Instead of a concentrated radiation dose in a particular area of the body which my doc explained is usually just a couple minutes of radiation, I will get 20-40 minutes of radiation but mine will be much more diffuse.  She said that the "radiation machine" (linear accelerator) is on the other side of the room (to dispurse the energy/radiation) and they will pack bags of rice around me to make me as "rectangular" as possible to ensure equal amounts of radiation is absorbed throughout my body.  The rice bag thing cracked me up (in my mind I pictured Dr. Howell and the nurse, Marion, making lots of trips to Costco to buy big bags of rice.  When the radiation tech came in to measure me (so they know how many rice bags they will need) I sheepishly asked her what they did with the rice after radiation treatments (thinking perhaps we collect all of it from the different hospitals & send it to North Korea? :) lol).  The radiation tech was really cool & explained that they just reuse the rice and that its not actually radioactive (although she said she definitely wouldn't eat it).  She told me that they often has "rice spills" in the radiation department and this made me laugh.  I hope I get to have her as one of my techs in the hospital!

The other thing that I thought was funny is that for the total body radiation I'll be down in the basement of the hospital (that is where the linear accelerator is).  This is only 1 of 2 hospitals in the state that has this particular piece of machinery apparently.  The doc explained that because they use a lower dose of radiation over a longer period of time, I'll need to make sure that I use the bathroom before I go downstairs for treatment.  I guess they don't want to have to "unpack me from all the rice bags" once they get me set up.  They also said that I can bring a CD along with me that they will play in the room for me since the treatment takes 40 minutes.  John and I were joking as we walked out to the car that we can't remember the last time we listened to a CD all the way through and that ipods have been the reason for this.  We spent part of the way home discussing what CDs I would take with me (kinda like that game you play when you say what 5 albums you'd take with you if you got stuck on a deserted island).  I think I'll probably be taking some Jason Mraz, Lumineers, Eagles, and a Beatles CD.  Still haven't decided on the other CDs that I will take with me :)   I really wish I could take my ipod and listen to the mix of songs from our wedding/reception but oh well.

Other than the radiation consult this afternoon, I've just been taking it pretty easy.  I've got some serious joint aches going on.  I told the nurse/doc about it today & they thought it was likely a side effect of the Neupogen (darn Neupogen...its so helpful but such crummy side effects).  I was telling John that I feel like a little old lady with arthritis in the mornings.  The aches get better throughout the day and definitely feel better the more I move...so I am trying to do lots of stretching and walking around when I can. 

We got the check in the mail from those of you who generously donated online through the fundraising website.  THANK YOU SO MUCH!  So nice of you all and we are blown away by your generosity.  All of the notes, gifts, calls, emails, etc. are so thoughtful and encouraging.  We WILL absolutely get through this and your donations will be so helpful to pay bills while I'm not able to work, copays for appointments, hospital stays, and medication, as well as gas to & from the hospital for John to visit me while I'm in the hospital for transplant.  :)
-Chellie

No comments:

Post a Comment