Monday, May 6, 2013

The ANC Roller Coaster


Its “chest x-ray Monday” here on the unit.  I didn’t have the energy to walk to radiology this morning (didn’t sleep well last night at all) so I went in a wheelchair. L  The transport lady kept hitting me in the back with my IV pump so I think I’m either going to ask for a different transport lady (or better yet, hopefully by next Monday I’ll have enough energy to make it downstairs to Radiology).

I decided that the oxycodone pills I’d been taking weren’t cutting it for the mouthpain so my doc said he wanted to have me try a fentanyl (spelling) pain patch.  They put it on me around 1130 and its supposed to absorb through my skin (instead of my IV).  It gets changed every 3 days.  I’m hopeful that it will do the trick and that I’ll only need this one patch and by the time Thursday rolls around I won’t need it anymore! 
My ANC yesterday jumped to 21 (yay for double digits) but this morning it was back down to 6 L  My doc and the nurses keep telling me that we should see some upward trending in my ANC by the end of the week (fingers crossed).  I would LOVE to see 3-4 days of positive trend before I will feel comfortable with the fact that I’m actually increasing and not simply ping-ponging around at the same range (hope that makes sense).  It would be a fun thing to be able to call my dad later this week on his birthday & let him know that things are starting to take off as far as my ANC goes! J

This week is Nurse Appreciation week, so I’ll be working on making a card for my nurses (old school style where you cut the letters/words out of old magazines) since that is what I have available in my room!  I would love to be able to bring them some goodies (cupcakes or cookies or something) but maybe once I get home and back to my kitchen.    I can’t wait to get back home to my kitchen.  I miss cooking for my family and baking for my coworkers!
-Chellie

No comments:

Post a Comment