Friday, March 15, 2013

Doing the Dew!


Day 2 of chemo and doing well.  Slight headache and a little fatigue so far, but nothing major and I told my nurse I didn’t even need Tylenol for the headache.  This Phase B chemo started with a 24 hr drip of a bag of yellow chemotherapy that looks like a big bag of Mountain Dew.  Once it finishes (around 3 this afternoon) they will draw a blood level and it will be driving “stat” across town to University of Colorado Hospital’s lab.  Apparently they are the only lab in town that does these specific levels.  The hospital oncologist will monitor this blood level for the next few days and this is the level that has to come down to a certain point before I can discharge from the hospital.  While they monitor this level,  I’ll get 3 more doses of new chemo drugs.  I am also scheduled to get a dose of spinal chemo this afternoon with the same anesthesiologist that did my last 2 procedures. 

I have no idea how they came up with this whole “hyper CVAD” chemotherapy protocol, but thank goodness for clinical trials, medical research and the funding that keeps it all going.  I have said so many times how thankful I am that its 2013 and there are treatments available!  I talked to the Kaiser Transplant Coordinator today and got some more information about my pending stem-cell transplant process as far as the insurance goes.  Kaiser has officially approved me for transplant (woo hoo), so now its just up to my oncologist and the transplant doc over at CBCI to do my full “workup” to make sure that I’m eligible (clinically) once we get to that point.  Kyle and I have both done our bloodwork and we are just waiting for the results of the HLA typing.  We should hear back sometime the last week of March.  Wouldn’t that (and hearing that I’m in remission) be the BEST BIRTHDAY PRESENT EVER?!?! J

John’s mom is coming up this weekend to help with Scott so that John can come visit me at the hospital tomorrow afternoon.  Our friend Gus (who is an amazing financial advisor) is also coming over tomorrow to help John look over our budget/finances and give us some advice to make sure we are making smart decisions and planning well for all of this.  Thank you to everyone who has sent gifts or donated money …you are SO generous and we have been overwhelmed by your generosity!  J  I know I say this often, but I mean it with all of my heart…I feel so lucky and blessed for all of the family and friends in our life who continue to send their love, support, “juju” and prayers.  We are truly surrounded by your prayers and it is so comforting!!!
-Chellie  

No comments:

Post a Comment