Saturday, March 16, 2013

The eyes have it! or Eye of the storm...


Yesterday went well.  I finished my methotrexate (the Mountain Dew chemo) and they got the level over to University Hospital.  Now we wait for my level to come down from 15 to 0.1 before I can discharge from the hospital.  Dr. Morris did my intrathecal (spinal) chemotherapy and that went well.  My cousin Heidi came to visit me at the hospital and it was fun to chat with her.  I still have a slight headache but the biggest issue is that the new chemo that I’m on starting last night requires that I take eye drops to protect my eyes (there are possible eye and neurological side effects from this particular medication).  The eye drops and repeated neurological screenings are one of the things the nurses do to protect my eyes and monitor any neurological stuff that may happen from the chemotherapy. 

Problem is:  I don’t DO eye stuff!!!  I haven’t been to the eye doctor in YEARS. Thank goodness I’m relatively young and have good vision.  I would rather go to the dentist , get an injection or a spinal tap, any day of the week.   I know that its completely silly, but I swear my eyes just squeeze shut on their own when anything comes towards them and touch my eyelashes…it’s a primitive reflex!  I don’t even wear eyeliner because I don’t like things near my eyes like that!  When we had to start the eye drops yesterday my nurses laughed and joked with me, but I’m pretty sure they think I’m nuts.  We have tried 3 different methods, none has been great but we’ve eventually been able to get to required 2 drops in each eye after multiple attempts J lol  Eye drop time (4 times a day) in my hospital room reminds me a little of this episode of friends:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=jP8_NlD6S_E  J lol

Since Judy (MIL) is here helping out this weekend, John can leave Scott at our house with her and he will come visit me at the hospital this afternoon/evening for “date night” in my hospital room.   I’m looking forward to it!

We’ll know more about how well my methotrexate level is dropping once we get the results back again this afternoon/evening (doing daily levels).  Still have my fingers crossed for a discharge from the hospital on Monday as long as my body cooperates! J    
-Chellie    

No comments:

Post a Comment