Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Eye on the Prize


Today is my “day off” from medical appointments but I have lots to get done.  #1 on my list is to pack my bag for the hospital as I’m headed back there tomorrow (after an appt with Dr. Liel @ 8:30am to discuss the results of the bone marrow biopsy that I had yesterday).  We anticipate that the hospitalization will be 5 days this time around (fingers crossed), but like last time it will totally depend on my counts & they will also have to monitor my blood chemistry much more closely this time (different chemotherapy agents) to make sure that certain levels of the drugs come down to an acceptable level before they would allow me to discharge home. 

Yesterday’s bone marrow biopsy was much more tolerable than the first one.  I had a different provider, requested & got a medication to take the edge off of my anxiety, and it went much faster (still hurt, but not nearly as bad as the first time).  So glad that it is over and very hopeful that the results we hear tomorrow are what the doctor expects!

In talking with John yesterday on our way home from the bone marrow biopsy, we were joking about how my treatment for this whole ordeal will likely be just over the same amount of time that Kim Kardashian spent married to Kris Humphries.  Funny to think that my leukemia treatment will be about the same length as a “Kardashian marriage” J  In that perspective, it seems like a blink of an eye and hopefully I’ll be back to my regular, day-to-day life.  In all seriousness though, John and I also talked about how this fall we’ll celebrate our 5 year anniversary & Scotty’s 1st birthday.  God has blessed me with a wonderfully supportive husband and a healthy baby boy and I am SO looking forward to celebrating these milestones with my little family with a trip down to my parent’s cabin in Pagosa Springs later this fall.  I think about this often (during my chemotherapy treatments especially), visualizing myself snuggled up in a sweatshirt and jeans, holding Scott, drinking hot chocolate on the deck of the cabin as John and I  listen to the river.

Each hospitalization, chemotherapy drug, doctor appointment, bone marrow biopsy, medication I swallow, and blood draw I do these days is just one step closer to being cancer-free and taking a celebratory trip this fall.  In the meantime I celebrate and appreciate the baby steps…making it through yesterday’s biopsy, having time this afternoon to make a favorite recipe for dinner with John here at home, and the fact that my numbers rebounded as planned after Phase A so I can admit to the hospital tomorrow to start Phase B of chemo…one step closer!  Lets do this thing J
-Chellie

No comments:

Post a Comment