Sunday, March 24, 2013

Warning Signs & Rose Gardens


A friend of mine recently sent me an email.  She got married the same month that we did and has a little boy about a year older than Scotty.  She went through cancer treatment (different type of cancer than me) right after getting married and is in remission now.  In her email she told me about something that she’d heard while attending a speech by Rudy Guiliani.  She wrote "Cancer is not a death sentence, rather a warning sign and a chance to change something or do something in your life. Some people don't get warning signs.  I think I enjoy each day a little bit more when I think of it this way. Cancer is an opportunity... (twisted I know, but a truth).”

Her attitude is very similar to mine and her email really rings true for me.  I am so thankful that I got a “warning sign”.  I have the opportunity to really prioritize things, change a few things in my life, and be more mindful and present during each day.  One of the biggest losses that I’m struggling with right now is the fact that as part of my transplant process I’ll have to undergo total body irradiation.  That, in addition to all the chemotherapy that I’ve been through & will have during transplant, will most likely leave me infertile.  Hearing this from Dr. Liel and doing my own research online (everything confirmed what the doc had said) made me cry.  John and I had planned to have a bigger family and had just recently started talking about trying again once Scott turns 1 yr. 

While this is a major loss and I’ve shed many tears about it, my friend’s email comes to mind.  Its up to me to chose my reaction to this news.  Of course I’m very sad, but this sadness isn’t going to overshadow the fact that I have a beautiful family right now and I am choosing to use this recent diagnosis as my “warning sign”.  We had difficulty getting pregnant to begin with, trying for over 2 years and seeing many doctors.  Maybe, cancer or not, we wouldn’t be able to have another biological child.  Who knows?  Either way, this is my “warning sign” to make sure that I am present & treasure every moment with Scotty and our little family as it is. I also have the opportunity to change a few things in my life that aren’t serving me well and needed to change but I was “too busy” to address before.  I thank God every day that he brought Scott into our lives when he did and that he’s a happy, healthy little boy.   We were blessed with the most amazing little guy and every day now I’m so much more present with him.  I know all moms and dads love being with their kiddos, but I can’t get enough of him these days and watching him learn about his environment is awesome.  When he smiles at me and interacts now, it absolutely melts my heart. 

As my friend said in her email, this is my opportunity.  To “slow down” and cherish the times with my little man and act/change things that I thought I was too busy to change before.  Even though there are things that I can’t do with Scott right now (doc said I’m not allowed to change diapers while neutropenic...poor John J lol), I am much more mindful when I rock Scotty to sleep, feed him a bottle, and play with him.  He’s growing way too fast already and I have mixed emotions about having to be away from him for several weeks during my transplant, especially because I will miss “baby milestones” which I won’t get to experience again. At the same time, I know that this is “just a few weeks” in the grand scheme of things and that I’m ready to start making changes and seizing this opportunity for the better.  It will ultimately allow me to continue to watch him grow, listen to him, and be present with him for many more years to come. J   

These days I’m not just stopping to smell the roses...I’m living in the rose garden. J
- -Chellie 

No comments:

Post a Comment