Friday, March 22, 2013

The "Trickle Down" Effect


Happy Friday!  Yesterday’s spinal chemotherapy was quite a production.  This is the first time I've had it done on an outpatient basis and when I got to the clinic the radiology tech asked me where my driver was.  I drove myself to my appt. and had planned on driving myself back home from the clinic, no biggie.  Apparently the radiology clinic policy is that anyone having a lumbar puncture has to have a driver to take them home after their procedure and that you are supposed to lie flat for 12-15 hrs after the procedure!   (Enter my stubborn/independent personality!) J lol  I wasn't trying to be a pain in the butt, however when I told the tech that it was no big deal and that I’d had 4 lumbar punctures with 3 doses of spinal chemo in the past month and that I would have no problem driving myself home she disagreed and called the radiologist in protest.  I tried to point out that I would have to get up, get dressed again, and walk to the car anyways.  I also pointed out that I’d been up walking around minutes after each of my previous lumbar punctures and that if I developed a headache, of course I wouldn't drive myself.  45 minutes later the oncology nurses upstairs came to my rescue and bargained with the radiology dept.  Sheri, one of my favorite oncology nurses promised the radiologist that she would bring me upstairs and observe me for a while before letting me drive home.  Once we got upstairs, she took my vitals, asked me if I felt okay to drive and 20 minutes later she let me drive home. J  I’m back at the clinic this morning and the same nurse smiled at me when I walked into the transfusion room and asked how my drive home was yesterday J lol  I've said it before and I’ll say it again, Oncology nurses ROCK! J

Yesterday I did a little bit of online shopping and bought 3 cute hats since my hair is all gone now.  I’m looking forward to getting them in the mail next week!!!  I NEVER wore hats before (didn't own a single one) and now I am looking forward to having a new accessory to add to my outfits J lol

Dr. Liel, my oncologist, stopped by my chair at the infusion clinic this morning and said that she had talked to Dr. Nash (transplant doc at CBCI) yesterday.  She said that pending the results of the high resolution tests we will very likely be able to move straight to transplant (skipping the next 2 rounds of chemo that they had planned to do while searching for a donor).  I AM THRILLED!!  My 33rd birthday is next week and this is the BEST birthday present ever! J  I am looking forward to getting this transplant process started because that means the sooner I get through it, the sooner I can get back to work!  As silly as it may sound, even during my maternity leave a few months ago I was itching to get back to work & be a “productive member of society”.   I get a lot of my identity and meaningfulness from work.  I LOVE helping clients who are in crisis and those who are entering the mental health clinic for the first time.  I can’t help but wonder if all these docs and nurses who have been helping/treating me realize that their work with me will help me in turn get back to work & help many more people, and really they are touching many more lives than they even realize!  I like thinking about this “trickle down” effect, it makes me smile J I’m one of those VERY lucky people who has found my niche and it doesn’t feel like “work”.  After bouncing around to 4 mental health centers in the past 7 years, I’ve finally found the best team /coworkers around and many times throughout the day I think about what they are doing and how much I can’t wait to get back to work!! 
-Chellie 

No comments:

Post a Comment