Friday, March 8, 2013

Transplant Protocol


Yesterday we met the nice folks at the Colorado Blood Cancer Institute (CBCI).  I had my initial consultation with Dr. Nash and my bone marrow transplant coordinator, Kallee.  Once my oncologist, Dr. Liel, gets me to remission with these first rounds of chemotherapy, then she’ll transfer my care from Kaiser’s oncology department over to the folks at CBCI for the transplant process.  The appointment yesterday was my official “meet & greet”, initial physical, consult & they drew my blood and swabbed my cheek to start my “typing”.  They also Fed-Ex’d a “sibling kit” to my brother, Kyle, so that we can type him and see if he’s my match J  We should know if Ky’s my match in about 2 weeks (fingers crossed)!!

It feels good that this typing process is underway.  We learned SO much from the transplant coordinator yesterday (it was seriously like trying to drink from a fire hose)!  My mom was with me and took TONS of notes (thanks Mom!) and we got all of our questions answered, but man I was emotionally and mentally exhausted after listening and learning so much about the process. Totally cool information to learn about though! We walked out of there with binders (literally) full of information that my caregiver will need to know, a big packet of forms for me to go through, and much more. 

Key points:  Once we find my match (hopefully in the next 2 months or so) I will go into the hospital for about 3 weeks, undergo another round of chemo to kill off all my blood cells & then receive my stem-cell transplant.   The transplant team requires that I have a full-time (24/7) dedicated caregiver for the first 100 days out of the hospital (holy cow!).  We are REALLY hoping that everything will go according to plan and that my transplant can happen over the summertime so that my mom can be here to help out since she’ll be off from school at that time! Essentially I will need someone to clean, cook, drive me to appointments almost everyday of the week (thank goodness for moms!)   I’m thinking that I’m going to have to really learn how to give up control with this stuff, which will be quite a lesson because I SO enjoy being independent!  Another thing I found interesting is that CBCI requires that patients live within 20 miles of the transplant center (because of the frequency of which I’ll be visiting them).  Thankfully we live within the 20 mile radius (yay for being close to the “big city”) J lol.  This means that I should be able to do most of my recovery at home (otherwise, they require that you stay in a hotel within 20 miles!) This is a serious commitment!  I’m assuming that I’ll have to sign some sort of patient contract with CBCI at some point before my actual transplant…I wonder if I should sign it in blood J lol 
-Chellie

No comments:

Post a Comment